Tweddle: A Public Hospital & Charity
Tweddle commenced as a Victorian public hospital, established to save the lives of sick and foundling babies. Over the decades, many philanthropists, donors and volunteers have rallied to raise awareness and funds to advance the hospital and services we continue to provide. Today Tweddle is a registered charity and a public hospital, and is still dedicated to improving the health outcomes of babies, toddlers, their families, and their communities.
The Angliss Family
The Angliss Family contributed many decades of auxiliary leadership, council and Governance at Tweddle. Significant involvement came from Dame Jacobena Angliss DBE, Mrs P R Angliss, Mrs M J Angliss, Mrs M V Angliss and Mrs Eirene Angliss. Mrs Diana Eirene Gibson, the daughter of Eirene Rose Angliss and David Knox, and the Granddaughter of Sir William and Lady Angliss and Sir Robert and Lady Knox continues to have an interest in the activities of Tweddle today as Life Governor and philanthropist. Sadly, Eirene Rose Knox, passed away after a short illness one month after her daughter Diana Gibson’s (nee Knox) christening.
In 1980 Mrs Gibson was elected as Patroness to the Tweddle Baby Hospital and has been a Member of Council. She is the Chair of the William Angliss Charitable Fund.
Dame Jacobena Angliss DBE (23 May 1896 – 10 November 1980)
Was born in Epping, Victoria, as Jacobena Victoria Alice Grutzner. She married butcher and meat exporter, William Charles Angliss (1865 – 1957) on 31 March 1919. Her husband William (Knighted in 1939), was a member of the Legislative Council in Victoria from 1912 to 1952. As Lady Angliss, she was involved in several charities, and as indicated previously she had an interest in the activities at Tweddle, she was President of the SHWCV for over 40 years. On 1 January 1975, she was created a Dame Commander (DBE), of the Order of the British Empire for community and welfare services. She had previously been made a Commander of the Order (CBE) on 9 June 1949 for her work as President of the Child Welfare Association of Victoria.
John Gent -Town Clerk – An Influential Benefactor
John Gent, the Town Clerk of Footscray from 1917 until 1946, helped establish the construction of the Tweddle Baby Hospital. He had a distinguished career in his own right. He was the founder of the Municipal Officers Association, drew up the Local Government Act, established the Footscray Children’s Library, worked for Red Cross and was a member of Rotary. He died in 1966 aged 90 years.
The First Patroness – Lady Stradbroke
Helena Violet Alice Fraser on 23 July 1898, married George Edward Rous, the Third Earl of Stradbroke KCMG, CB, CVO, CBE, VD, TD, and became Countess of Stradbroke. (She died 14 April 1949). The Earl was the 15th Governor of Victoria between 1921-1926.
- Lady Stradbroke
- Patroness Lady Irvine
- Patroness Mrs Diana Gibson
Auxiliaries of the Hospital
- Primrose Nurses
- Plunket Sisters
- Tweddle Baby Hospital Women’s Group
- The Plunket Auxiliary
- Tweddle Baby Hospital – Women’s Committee
Philanthropic Support & Funding
Tweddle is grateful to the support of Local, State and Commonwealth Government funding and support, and especially to the Department of Health and Human Services. Major donors and supporters helped Tweddle to pilot new programs, evaluate services, purchase resources and build capacity. They include;
- Ms Jacqueline Stephens (dec)
- William Angliss Charitable Fund
- Collier Charitable Fund
- William Buckland Charitable Foundation (Felton Bequest)
- Helen MacPherson Smith Trust
- 6A Foundation & Romy Katz
- Bennelong Foundation
- State Trustees
- City of Wyndham
- Equity Trustees
- Rotary Club of Footscray
The Tweddle Foundation
The Tweddle Foundation, a charity to support the staff, services and facilities of Tweddle Child & Family Health Service, was registered with the Australian Charities and Not-For-Profit Commission. More about The Tweddle Foundation can be found here.