Tweddle 1930’s Timeline
- Lady Irvine opens new buildings
- 1930 Kiosk built at the show-grounds of the Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria, Ascot Vale
- Additions cost £3000 Pounds
The 1930’s Annual Report stated: ‘In consequence for demands for accommodation the Tweddle Baby Hospital and School of Mothercraft found it necessary to enlarge the hospital buildings at Footscray, and yesterday the new cottage for mothers, the additions to the nurses home and a summer house, were opened by Lady Irvine.’
‘There is now room for nineteen babies and four mothers, while eighteen trainees, including those who are training to become Primrose nurses,can be accommodated. The whole of the new building cost £3000 pounds to erect and furnish,and all this sum has been donated with the exception of £700 pounds.’
‘Mr William Angliss M.L.C, donated the sum of £500 pounds and promised to increase it to £800 pounds if that amount was required. The mothers’ cottage is named after his daughter Eirene. Mrs J T Tweddle has given £100 pounds for the erection of a summer house, while Mr Tweddle has guaranteed the society’s overdraft to the extent of £2000 pounds and has presented to the hospital £100 pounds worth of pictures.’
Between 1939 and 1945 Australia was at war with Germany and Japan. The Western Suburbs of Melbourne at that time was a major industrial area with occupations and storage areas that were at that time being used for the production of materials and goods for use by the military forces.
From 1935 on, it became clear that a war would eventuate. Plans were being considered and put into place by the Australian Government. When war commenced many local sites became involved in the war effort.
- Munitions Establishments
- Ordinance – Maribyrnong
- Ammunition – Footscray (Tweddle)
- Explosives – Maribyrnong
past and present, of this land Wurundjeri on which Tweddle provide its services.