Tweddle 1950’s Timeline
- Dr Guy Springthorpe 1954 Obituary
- 1958 The Tweddle Baby Hospital incorporated under the Companies Act 1938 as a Company Limited by Guarantee.
- Foundation Stone of new Hospital laid by Dame Mary Herring.
- 1959 Official opening 10 June 1959 of new Hospital by Her Excellency,Lady Slim, First reception of Toddlers in residence
- On 25 October 1958 the Foundation Stone for the new hospital building was laid in place.(This stone has been moved and is now laid in the concrete driveway in Adelaide Street.)
- Dame Jacobena Angliss and Lady Herring were at the ceremony together with Matron Graham and nurses
- Dame Mary Herring DBE who died on 26 October 1981 at the age of 86 was Patroness of the hospital from 1956-1982. Dame Mary was a daughter of Sir Thomas Lyle who was Professor of Natural Philosophy in the University of Melbourne. She graduated in Medicine at the University of Melbourne in 1919.
- The publication ‘Footscray’s first 100 years 1859-1959’ also included an article with an image of Her Excellency Lady Slim at the opening ceremony with the following text,under the heading: OPENING OF NEW BUILDING
“There was a gay, festive air at the opening, debt free, of the hospital’s new building by Lady Slim. A band played, the happy guard of honour of nurses, striking in their red and blue caps, and trails of fairy lights added to the pleasantness of the occasion. The guard of honour, headed by the matron (Miss Evelyn Graham) included two nurses from Singapore and another from Fiji who are studying for their infant welfare certificates at Tweddle.”
After opening the new wing Lady Slim unveiled a plaque. She also planted a tree to celebrate the city’s centenary.
past and present, of this land Wurundjeri on which Tweddle provide its services.