Tweddle 1960’s Timeline

  • Book of Remembrance commenced
  • 1960 Blackall Estate block in Sydney Street Footscray resumed by the Government of Victoria for Hospital purposes.
  • 1961 Completion of new dining room, kitchen and store block
  • 1963 Official opening of the William Angliss Nurses Home on Crown land in Sydney Street by Dr. J H Lindell.
  • Donation of a Show grounds Building by the Commissioners of The State Savings Bank of Victoria. Completion of Matrons Cottage
  • 1964 Completion of new Eirene Angliss Mothers and Babies Building, Old Nurses quarters in Sydney Street renovated.
  • 1965 Children for foster care and adoption admitted.
  • Mrs J W Springthorpe, widow of Dr Springthorpe died in 1966 after serving on the Hospital Council until 1957.
  • 1967 Lady Angliss was awarded the Victorian Council of Social Service’s Community Service award for 1967, which was presented to her on the 25th July by His Excellency Sir Rohan Delacombe, for her initiative and leadership in establishing Child Care Week in Victoria, the first such week held anywhere in the world.
  • 1968 Miss Evelyn E.Graham retired as Matron of ‘Tweddle’ a position she held with distinction for 18 years during which time the present ‘Tweddle’ buildings were planned and erected.
  • The Plunket Auxiliary was inaugurated by Matron G Graham in 1946 when Miss E.Walker was elected President.
  • Forty Eight members joined in 1946 and of these Miss H. Binks, Mrs G.Miller, Miss J.Brennan, Miss H.Rawolle and Mrs M.Elcott were still interested members in 1980.

See also:

Tweddle would like to acknowledge and pay our respects to the Traditional Custodians,
past and present, of this land Wurundjeri on which Tweddle provide its services.