Tweddle 1980’s Timeline
- Dame Jacobena Angliss DBE passes away.
- Negotiations continued over the year with many meetings being held to establish the Jacobena Angliss Pre-School Centre at Tweddle. This beautiful Pre-School centre was officially opened by Lady Winneke on 24th July 1980. The Pre-School centre has an extended hours program – 9am – 3pm and is able to admit 23 children (3 places being kept for children with special needs).
- Mrs Betty Burton was elected President of the Tweddle Hospital in 1980 after the death of Dame Jacobena Angliss.
- Mrs Diana Gibson was unanimously elected Patroness of the Tweddle Baby Hospital. The Mother and Baby Cottages were named in memory of her mother Eirene Angliss and the Pre-School Centre after her grand mother Dame Jacobena Angliss DBE.
- 1983 Miss May Angliss was made a Life member after serving 49 years on the Tweddle Central Auxiliary. During her period of office as President of the Central Auxiliary the sum of $63,906 was raised for the Tweddle Baby Hospital
- 1984 Miss Ballard visited various hospitals and pre-school centres in Hong Kong, Red China and Japan.
- 1987 Miss Margot Ballard retired after 22 years.
- 1989 The utilisation of the Hospital continued to increase and inpatients cared for increased from 290 to 700. The average length of stay decreased from 10.1 days to 7.98 days. Daily patient costs reduced from $2257 to $1356.
- There was a withdrawal of State Government funding for extended hours kindergarten causing concern. The hospital undertook to provide an Advisory Service to Hearing Impaired children.
- In 1988/89 the Hospital entered into a Budget Agreement with the Health Department. The purpose of the Agreement was to formalise the relationship between the Hospital and the Health Department in order to clarify the role and responsibilities of each organisation and to clearly
- identify accountability mechanisms. During the negotiations the Hospital agreed to incorporate under the Health Services Act 1988; incorporation will result in Tweddle Baby Hospital becoming registered as a Schedule 1 Public Hospital.
- The funding levels of the hospital remain an unresolved issue. Inadequate funding hindered the opening of a fully staffed and operational Parent and Infant Unit with a rooming in facility.
- The installation of industrial strength laundry equipment was completed.
- The newly created Chief Executive Officer position was assumed by Ms Betty Hassold.
1981-1982 Council of the Tweddle Baby Hospital
President Mrs Betty Burton
Vice President Dr J Glyn White
Honorary Secretary Mr A J Mangan
Honorary Treasurer Mr K E Hambly
Honorary Public Relations Officer Mr J McDougall
Elected Member Miss E M Angliss
Mrs M J Angliss
Mrs M V Angliss
Mrs H David
Mrs R R Downe
Mrs A J Mangan
Mrs J Mercer
Mrs C Redman
Miss P Brennan
Mrs W Jamieson
Mrs P R Angliss
Mrs Diana Gibson
Mrs W M K Stephens
(daughter Jacqueline Stephens a donor)
Patroness Mrs Diana Gibson
Director of Nursing Miss M N Ballard
past and present, of this land Wurundjeri on which Tweddle provide its services.